Sunday 15 June 2014

The shepherd boys

by Subhashis Das

The shepherds hang out on the tree while a portion of their herd graze below.



The shepherd boys or the “rakhal chelera” exalted in Bangla literature by numerous erstwhile poets and writers and even by the venerated Tagore himself are a dying breed today. 

Growing up on these playful carefree young lads in classic Bangla literature has carved a deep niche somewhere within me.With schooling around they no more tend their flock and in the process a major aspect of Bangla literature is on its way of fading away with time. As a result of which I haven’t quite confronted with them these days while meandering in the countryside.


One leisurely morning....



But when I do, I am transported to my self-created fanciful world where I have treasured many prized memories since childhood and among them is the cherished memory of the uninhibited pleasure I once obtained reading of these “rakhal cheles”.

During one such amble in the country I chanced on a shepherd-boy. His mere sight evoked many emotions in me.I looked at him,his herd...suddenly he smiled at me that is when I clicked (snap above).
But when I reviewed the photograph, his face had no smile. I turned around in hope of another snap, the lad had moved away with his herd...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cart Ruts of India

  Subhashis Das     India has numerous cart ruts. This blog-page cites only a few of the large treasure of these ruts in the country.      R...